Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Extending SP lang. to ISQL
Author Tim Uckun
At 01:22 PM 5/15/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Rather than inventing yet another language, I think it makes
>a great deal of sense to standardize on an existing, industry
>standard language. Java is the obvious choice (madam, there
>is no second). It is computationally complete, has a civilized
>database api, and has a standardized binary format. It also
>provides a modicum of obscurity for VARs that wish to prevent
>leakage of source code.

Although I have no real objection to the use of Java it might be nice to
have a choice of languages. All modern scripting languages support
integration with C pretty nicely and most have open source
licences. Remember that Oracle had to upgrade their database to make it
compatible with Java 1.2 and Sun is already ready to release 1.3. Keep this
in mind if you plan on bundling them together. Unless the JVM selection is
dynamic you stand a good chance of running behind the curve. The open
source JVMs tend lag far behind the efforts of IBM and Sun.

:wq
Tim Uckun
Due Diligence Inc. http://www.diligence.com/ Americas Background
Investigation Expert.
If your company isn't doing background checks, maybe you haven't considered
the risks of a bad hire.