Subject Re: [IB-Architect] BLOB filters and BLOB types
Author Maxim Sinev
Why database engine should know all about format of data it stores and have all of it as a single number?
(BTW Is jpeg2000 still a jpeg ? Several versions of gif format...)
Could be such code for some classes of data (text/binary/code/database) but not just each type/subtype I suppose.
Maybe it is a good idea in using of so called MIME type encoding (based on a text strings: text/html, image/jpeg, application/data etc
with adddition to encoding etc Like it is in mail or http protocols. Lets call it blob identification block and store with blob data) or register a separate blob type - MIME data...
Could be at least possible to have standart table to convert blob code to mime type.

The general purpose of filter is to get a plain text in right encoding from other kind of text data. I could not believe if somebody will benefit from convert jpeg to gif or tar to bzip using database. Anyway, there is nothing wrong in dinamical registration of filters by mime types as external modules/applications not just by codes inside engine I think.

Maxim Sinev
Spektrum Web Development
http://www.spektrum.org.ru