Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Database names
Author Leyne, Sean
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Starkey [mailto:jas@...]
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 5:59 PM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com; IB-Architect@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] Database names

>You mean for each given database Alias, declare a potentially different
>authentication repository? Sounds great.

Sorry, no. I want to configuration stuff in a blob in the database.

Storing the configuration of the DB inside the db seems to be
"perpetuating" some of the existing problems that some users have right
now. Breaking master-shadow relationships, moving the location of
master/secondary files. An external storage location for some of this
information only seems to make sense (perhaps the individual db's
information could be "synchronized" from the master source).

I am not advocating the use of the registry, an ASCII table, an XML
structure, or a gdb (although I have my own thoughts). I think we need
to look at the features/functions which need to be supported (something
I'm afraid has been lost in the as this thread has developed), and then
we can have the "knife" fight about implementation.

Sean