Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Database names
Author Leyne, Sean
Let me add to the list of 'properties' for each database.

- Shadow DB file name(s) (would allow for shadows to be easily 'broken'
from the master DB)

I'm sure that My next two items will prompt some discussion
- Authentication Name plug-in for DB
- Encryption Name Plug-in for DB

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Chamberlin [mailto:dchamberlin@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 11:05 AM
To: IB-Architect@egroups.com; IB-Architect@egroups.com;
IB-Architect@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] Database names

As usual, Jim has offered some well considered arguments.

At 5/2/00 10:17 AM (Tuesday), Jim Starkey wrote:
>I my opinion (ever humble) configuration information internal to a
>database should reside in the database.

I agree that metadata could/should reside in a database but more for the

sheer practicality of it than for following a principle. If you are
already
facile with using SQL to manipulate the database data then why not use
it
to manipulate the meta data as well?

As to the meta-meta-data of the database file mapping, I'm not so sure.

>And isn't XML to hold of list of name/file pairs a bit of overkill?

I don't think we are talking about just a simple list, unless you mean a

separate file for each database. How about:

<?XML version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ISCNS:FileMap SYSTEM "http://xml.interbase.com/FileMap.dtd'>
<ISCNS:FileMap xmtns:ISCNS='http://xml.interbase.com/'>
<Database>