Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Database names
Author Doug Chamberlin
At 5/2/00 11:25 AM (Tuesday), Jim Starkey wrote:
>Other than breaking the layer and destroying database integrity,
>this isn't a bad idea.

[Elaboration on the above snipped]

Goods points. I had not even thought of the concurrent access issue yet.

I also thought we were considering moving the file list from the current
method (of chaining the files together via internal references in each
file) to a more centrally maintained list. If we are not considering
changing that then I like your simple ASCII file idea:

>How about:
>
>MyDB C:\Data\DB01.GDB
>MyOtherDB D:\OtherDB.GDB
><end-of-file>

Gets us the benefits of aliases without too many other changes, which have
been pointed out to be problematic.