Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Backward compatability with previous versions of gdb files
Author Jim Starkey
At 10:52 AM 5/1/00 -0700, David Schnepper wrote:

>Well, first off, it *IS* a major ODS upgrade (64 bit generators). A
>minor ODS change
>does not prevent the prior engine from not touching the file. (If we
>went to ODS 9.1
>any v5.x would still think it could access the file).
>
>An ODS 9.0 to 10.0 update utility would have to update the header page
>to reflect
>ODS 10, and rewrite Generator pages to be 64 bit quantities.

I'm not suggestion that we try to rewind history, but I would
like to use this as a case history in anticipation of the next
change to wonder down the pike (and rest assured, folks, it
will come).

Why couldn't the change have been made by bumping the minor version,
which would have prevented the V5 engine from trying to handle the
database file. The V6 engine could easily have handled both
sizes of generators. Why was it necessary to change the major
version number? And why didn't the V6 engine handle the previous
ODS?

Jim Starkey