Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Some thoughts on IB and security
Author Jim Starkey
At 06:09 PM 4/29/00 -0400, Doug Chamberlin wrote:
>At 4/29/00 06:02 PM (Saturday), Bill Karwin wrote:
>>Can I suggest that we stop calling this plugin we've been
>>discussing a "security plugin"? An "authentication plugin" would be a
>>more accurate description.
>
>"Authentication" if it determines who the user is. "Authorization" if it
>also determines what rights that user has. Or perhaps these should be
>separated in the API.

I agree with Bill that what we are discussing is an "authentication
plugin." I also agree with Doug that if it determined users'
rights it should be called an "authorization plug". Determination
of rights is determined as per SQL, however, and subject (at most)
to a veto by the "authentication" plugin.

Authentication, yea.

Jim Starkey