Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Some thoughts on IB and security
Author Jim Starkey
At 09:47 AM 4/27/00 -0600, Tim Uckun wrote:

>You could also have a loadable module like apache. Also you could even
>have a build options so that people can specify their authentication when
>they compile. ./configure --with-pam --with-kerberos etc.

Specifying the plug-in as a loadable library is a very good thing.
I hate the idea of requiring users to compile code on-site as part
of installation. Besides, it is perfectly reasonable for different
databases on the same system use different security policies. Having
to maintain multiple copies of Interbase (or any product) is more
pain that we should consider inflicting.

Not all platforms support loadable libraries. The simple and
satisfying answer is that platforms that don't support loadable
libraries don't get configurable security. Pox on 'em.

Jim Starkey