Subject Re: [IB-Architect] GBAK processing
Author Ann Harrison
At 01:24 PM 4/26/00 -0400, Leyne, Sean wrote:
>Is GBAK (the backup process) a single threaded function, performing 1
>task at a time, or is it multi-threaded?

Single.

>Would a multi-threaded backup process perform faster then the current
>model?

Probably a predictive prefetch in the engine would be more effective,
though there might be merit to having the database processing in one
thread and the writes to the output file (or reads from the input
file) in another

>What issue would prevent (or made very difficult) GBAK being made
>multi-threaded?

None that I know of.

>I been thinking about a different approach to GBAK where it creates
>threads (up to a certain limit) for each DB object to be backed up, with
>these threads reading the DB information and building "backup
>information" to be written out by a single "writer thread". I
>understand that the system structure would need to be processed by a
>single thread and written to disk before any application data.

I guess that depends on how thoroughly you want to saturate the
server.

Ann