Subject Re: [IB-Architect] IB and SMP
Author Jim Starkey
At 10:05 PM 4/24/00 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 03:50:22PM -0400, Leyne, Sean wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this has been asked before or if this is the right
>> forum/group to post this in but...
>>
>> Could someone please outline the issues related to getting IB to support
>> SMP 'properly' along with a "gut" judgement on the complexity involved
>> for each issue.
>
>As far as I understand it the IB classic architecture - which starts one
>process per connection and only shares locking - is already very SMP
>friendly. The processes don't share much.

All depends on contention. Separate processes rattling around
different parts of a database should scream. But if they are
updating the same pages signals and context switches fly.

The best answer is the SuperServer architecture with increased
granularity of threading. Easier to say that to do.

Jim Starkey