Subject RE: [IB-Architect] UDF replacement: native shared libraries vs. J ava
Author Kim-Bo.Madsen@sas.dk
Hi,

Not to be argumentative.... But :)

Why is it that the JVM gives Access Violations from time to time using plain
Java applets..... If the sandbox model is waterproof as is claimed.... A/V's
would never happen.

The current JVM's are _not_ waterproof. Its been proven time and time again.
Perhaps they will be at some time... perhaps not. But currently you can
forget about fixing the bug in JVM yourself. If it A/V's its just bad luck.
Using native 3rd gen. languages you have a chance to solve the problems if
you encounter them... using Java... no chance.

Further... Im not terribly sure that the argument that programmers are more
effecient in Java than in another language is true. IMO its not allways the
case developing ordinary applications, since so many things goes deprecated
in the Javaworld from one minor release to the next. The basic class sets
are often also quite complicated to use. Perhaps this does not apply to UDF
programming.

In an ideal world, I would be inclined to agree with you that a sandbox
model is really a benefit. Thus you can leave UDF programming up to people
not really capable of programming.

I might add a little note having nothing to do with databases.... Why is it
that the best, most precise and fastest OCR and ICR packages (Optical
Character Recognition/print and Intelligent Character
Recognition/handwriting) are based on development work from Russia? Because
Russians had to think out algorithms to do good work. They couldnt plainly
rely on plain machine speed as has been the case in the west. I think the
current directions of development is not going in the right direction.
Instead of solving a problem the right way, programmers of today choose to
solve it by 'padding' around the problem, hiding it from view, hence the
need for a sandbox model.

best regards

Kim Madsen
kbm@...