Subject Re: [IB-Architect] UDF replacement: native shared libraries vs. J ava
Author Bill Karwin
InterBase has an arbitrary limit hardcoded for its data cache at 512MB.
I don't remember if there's any driving reason behind it, it's just a
limit.

I believe it is 512MB _per database_, since Superserver allocates a
separate cache for each database that is currently active on the server.

I think it would be ideal if ibserver set the limit at the maximum
amount of physical RAM on the system (or perhaps leaving some amount for
operating system use). It would be pointless to allocate 1GB of cache
on a system with 128MB of physical RAM.

This assumes that each supported OS has a function to report the amount
of RAM.

Bill