Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Insert Speed
Author Jim Starkey
At 08:48 AM 4/8/00 +1000, Jan Mikkelsen wrote:

>Has anything other than page at a time allocation ever been considered?

Could you explain the thinking behind the question? It sounds
like a argument for a larger (default) page size. 4K, maybe 8k,
would make a great deal more sense for 1k.

Successive page allocation isn't particularly expensive. The
page inventory page is essentially guarenteed to be sitting in
memory and unless the PIP is chaffed, pages will come out
sequentially (wish I could say that about non-extent based
file systems).

But to answer your question: Not to my knowledge. Shall we?

Jim Starkey