Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Disk Bandwidth was License Question
Author Claudio Valderrama C.
Just curious about:
What's the database engine product that puts the database objects directly
into filesystem files?
Sybase uses a database device (a kind of proprietary internal file system)
where it keep all its databases (or just did so in earlier versions);
SqlServer (as built originally by Sybase for MS) had the same behavior and
it was dropped in Sql7 to go back to two filesystem files for database: the
database itself and the the journal (or log) file.
But I still don't remember a relational product that uses, for example, one
file for each table; other than Paradox and Dbase and desktop databases
alike, that I was aware at least.

C.
---------
Claudio Valderrama C.
Ingeniero en Informática - Consultor independiente
http://members.xoom.com/cvalde

[snip]
> If the abstraction is clean, and addresses are relative to the object in
> question, the various objects could be put directly into filesystem files,
> with administrator control over object placement. This is more
> useful than
> just striping disks.

[snip]