Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Nailing down the external file problem.
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 06:13 PM 12/20/2000 +0100, Paul Reeves wrote:

>It seems to me that we could allow the placing of additional entries in
>IBConfig
>which specify the path(s) of external files. The syntax could be similar
>to that
>for specifying temporary directories. If there are no EXT_FILE_DIR entries
>then
>no external files are allowed. Otherwise only the directories specifically
>mentioned can be used. The syntax for external file creation would remain the
>same.

Over lunch, Jim suggested that we use that directory as the start
of the path to the external file, allowing (but not requiring)
different databases to use different directories beneath the top
level. Of course that doesn't work so well if you want to offer
directories on different devices for those files ....

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com
We have answers.