Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Nailing down the external file problem.
Author Dalton Calford
Hi Paul,

Just got a moment and noticed your post.
I agree with you concerning the external files problems.
I would extend your thinking by putting into the ibconfig the allowed
paths that a database can be created in. I would also like to see some
limits done so that only certain individuals can create databases or
external files.

Ultimately, I would like to see some method proposed that would safely
allow the interbase server to run as some user other than root on a *nix
system.

It has been awhile, can someone update me as to the exact reasons why IB
must run as root and what problems will occur if it is run as some other
user?

best regards

Dalton