Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Rock>Java>Threads>Hardplace
Author Adam Clarke
----- Original Message -----
From: "Helen Borrie" <helebor@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 10:33 AM

> And is there an open source C++ compiler ?

I don't know about stability, completeness etc issues (I'm no expert) but,
from the GCC (Gnu Compiler Collection) homepage.

<quote ref="http://gcc.gnu.org/">

Currently GCC contains front-ends for C, C++, Objective C, Chill, Fortran,
and Java (GCJ).
</quote>

And then...

<quote ref="http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_1.html#SEC1">

When referring to C++ compilation, it is usual to call the compiler "G++".
Since there is only one compiler, it is also accurate to call it "GCC" no
matter what the language context; however, the term "G++" is more useful
when the emphasis is on compiling C++ programs.
</quote>

<quote ref="http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_1.html#SEC1">

G++ is a compiler, not merely a preprocessor. G++ builds object code
directly from your C++ program source. There is no intermediate C version of
the program. (By contrast, for example, some other implementations use a
program that generates a C program from your C++ source.) Avoiding an
intermediate C representation of the program means that you get better
object code, and better debugging information. The GNU debugger, GDB, works
with this information in the object code to give you comprehensive C++
source-level editing capabilities (see section `C and C++' in Debugging with
GDB).
</quote>